Tuesday, September 23, 2008

To bee or not to bee?

I've always been fascinated by beekeeping. I know, weird, but true. I've often wondered if I took it up if it would be something I would enjoy long-term, or if it would be one of those things that I learned about and then lost interest in once I'd "conquered" it.

Well, I'm going to get the opportunity to find out. We'll be hosting two beehives in the spring under Hansen Hives, and Aaron Hansen, the beekeeper, offered to bring me a suit when he comes so I can "apprentice" under him to see if I enjoy it. I figure this way I can get the buzz over with (ha ha) and see if it's more work than I want, or really a fun little, long-term, productive hobby. Those of you who have seen our backyard know that we have just the room agains the back fence. They said two hives would work nicely back there, and they'll be far enough away from the house that we shouldn't have to worry about any problems.

On a side note, the term "beeline" actually comes from bees. They make a beeline straight from their hive to the closest food source, and Aaron told me sometimes you can follow them for a long while before either finding where they eat or losing them. I also learned that there are nine toxins in bees' venom, and depending on how many of them you are allergic to will determine what level of reaction. One allergen, a small bump. Nine allergens, possible death.

The nice thing about it all is that the Hansens have offered us a discount on any honey. They were just the nicest people you could ever meet. I look forward to learning this new thing and if I do end up becoming a beekeeper, watch out fam--you'll be getting honey for every gift!

No comments: