Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Stress sucks

My husband started a new job about a year and a half ago, and is now going back to school. For those of you who don't know, he was a stay-at-home Dad who worked in the evenings for about seven years before all of this, and did a fantastic job. I was always the stress case, struggling to maintain my sanity while raising two small boys alone in the evenings.

Now, you may argue, "what's the difference between raising them alone in the evening as opposed to raising them alone during the day?" And I would tell you honestly, "I don't know." But I have seen a marked difference in my husband since he has returned to work full time. I now get home a couple of hours later than he does, and it's usually mayhem at the house. I actually thanked him the other day, just because I realized that I wasn't a total freak all those years. If it can affect Ed this way, I know that I wasn't insane. He acknowledged that, saying that he of course knew I wasn't insane. (Diplomatic, wouldn't you say?)

But in light of the stress full-time work in a stressful, high-profile position can cause, I'd say we're doing pretty well. I fully realize that it's my turn to shine, as it were; to take the load off Ed so he can take care of business. Once school starts in earnest for him, I know how important that will be. I hope that I can remain selfless and "fight" for the greater good. Now if I can just convince my kids. :)

But, like my title says, stress sucks. Ed's intent is that with his degree he will be able to support us as a family and allow me the opportunity, at long last, to stay home. I look forward to it, but realize that it may not be so important once it gets here. But then again, with teen boys (by then) it may be more important than ever.

Have a great day.

7 comments:

JPF said...

Go, Ed! I'm thinking of you guys and love you. Stress does suck, but I know you'll shine through it all. Give the boys a squeeze.

Linda said...

You're sweet. Thanks for the kind thoughts. And it's good to stretch, isn't it? :)

Lauren said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linda said...

I here you there, sister. Thanks for the validation. :)

Linda said...

Ack! Sorry Lauren! I deleted your comment by mistake (I had posted my response like three times, and in trying to clean them up hit yours instead). Oopsie. Basically, her comment said that nights are worse. After dinner is her most dreaded part of the evening.

kels said...

hey! ed's going to school!!! that's awesome! where at, what's he studying? :)

Linda said...

He's going to Western Governor's University, and online school (possibly a campus school as well; not sure) to study IT management. So far it hasn't been too bad.