Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The letter no one wants to receive


My sister, Susan, once told me that you're terrified with your first baby (giving birth) because you don't know what to expect, and you're terrified with your second because you do. I think that applies equally well here.

Most of you have been informed, and if you're reading this and I hadn't told you, I apologize for the insensitive method of communication.

For those who don't know my history, this is round two. Ding! Not to say I'm pessimistic about the experience, in fact, quite the opposite. Although my experience with cancer the first time, seven years ago, was no picnic, I feel confident that this round (ding!) will be anti-climactic. The problem? Not knowing. I don't want to be blindsided with bad news, but I don't want to over-stress myself, either. Oops. Probably too late on that one.

The update is that I meet with my second surgeon today to set a date for an MRI. I will post more information after that is set. The purpose of the MRI is to determine if there's any "activity" in the areas of concern (about 6 small, fibroid-type masses that were discovered by sonogram, not self-exam or mammo). If so, a biopsy will be ordered. If the biopsy(ies) show any malignancy, it's at that point that all hell will break loose.

Aside from this being a somewhat rambling, insensitive way to announce to everyone who doesn't already know that my left breast needs "further evaluation," I also want it to serve as a thank you. Thank you, to everyone who has already rallied behind me. Thank you for your prayers, your fast, your thoughts, your good wishes, your tears, your strength, your optimism, your love. You truly have been His hands for me.

My prayer is that none of you will have to receive a letter like this in your life, but if you do, know that I will be there to love and support you through it.
Linda

2 comments:

Christine Slay said...

Linda- you are the strongest woman I know! You have been through so much and I want you to know I support you even if it's from thousands of miles away! You have a great support system and for that I am happy - just know that you will rock through this and I love you!!

Linda said...

Thanks Christine. I needed that this morning. Today is the day I go in for the MRI. I'm a little stressed.