Monday, January 25, 2010

BRCA1, BRCA2

I'm having "female" troubles. Sigh. The joy of being 40, female, and a cancer survivor. No worries, no cancer scares or anything, but as I met with my OB-GYN this week, we determined that we should test for BRCA1&2, the genetic markers for ovarian cancer to determine whether they should come out or not.

It's a much longer and more complicated story than that, but suffice it to say that I'm not having any more children, and at 40, you get tired of being female in some ways. I'm sure the women reading this will know what I mean.

Without going into too much detail, I'm ready to stop being capable of bearing children, and two of the options for that include hormones, which I cannot take. Hence the genetic testing. Having survived cancer, it makes me nervous to be looking for this kind of thing, even though I suspect there's nothing to tell, and even if the markers are there, removing the ovaries would take care of it. Which is actually a good thing, since ovarian cancer does not have a high survival rate.

Not sure why I'm blogging about this, other than it's been on my mind today because I met with my doctor this morning for the tests, and I'm really very bored at work today. I'd like to go home and just go to bed. I'm exhausted.

I'll keep you all posted if there's anything to be done. If not, you won't hear a peep and all is well.

2 comments:

Christine Slay said...

Thinking about you Linda! You are an amazingly strong woman who inspires me daily!

Linda said...

Thanks Christine. You have no idea how much that means to me. I miss you, lady.