Monday, April 19, 2010

BRCA1 & 2, part 2

Myriad Genetics claimed my insurance wouldn't cover BRCA testing about 2 months ago, but we have since discovered that with personal and family history, it is indeed covered. I went in today to have the work-up. Basically you swish around mouthwash twice for 30 seconds and spit it all in a vial. I should know in a couple of weeks if I have the BRCA gene mutation that can cause cancer.

If I do, I will consider having a preventive mastectomy and my ovaries removed. I don't know what else to do. I am so appreciative of all your faith and prayers in my behalf, but I'm also really tired of having this hanging over me. Even with a benign biopsy, my doctor wants to see me every six months for a couple of years. MRIs, mammograms, possible biopsies, blah blah blah. It's strange living with a lurker, never knowing when it will show up.

Susan emailed me today and shared what Hunter said after Jesse told his family that my biopsy results were benign. He asked what they should pray for next. And then added that maybe they should thank Him. I smiled the warmest smile when I read that. I love children so much.

If I may digress from the original topic of this post, I have to just say how much I have enjoyed loving and serving the children in our ward. What a wonderful opportunity and calling. It has been amazing, even in the toughest of times. I feel so lucky to be with those great kids each week.

I will post again when I have my BRCA results. Thanks again to all of you for your love and support. I was telling Susan how much I miss my siblings. I am so excited to see you all at the reunion!

2 comments:

Christine Slay said...

Will be awaiting your results - here's to a big fat negative!Love you!

Linda said...

Thanks Christine. :)