Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I love it when my kids recommend books

Riley recommended "Walk Two Moons" a few years ago, and it is still one of my all-time favorites. It's a Newberry winner, and if you've not had a chance to read it, add it to your list.

Lennon just finished reading "Robin Hood" in his 4th-grade class, and he brought home a copy for me (he got permission from his teacher, don't worry). I promised myself a long time ago that if my children recommended a book, I would read it. No questions. I had to Finish "Life of Pi," but now I am happily engaged in the life of Robin, Little John, Maid Marian, and all the Merry Men. It's admittedly a little youthful, but I like that. And it's so much more detail than any of the films. (OK, I confess, I've only seen the Disney version, but you know what I mean.)

There's a fellow here at my work who has two children in college, one at Brown. One semester he made a committment to read the same books they were reading for their college courses. He was a busy fellow, but he came in with the most fascinating stories. I hope that I can do the same some day. I love to read, and it's even more pleasurable when you can share the experience with your children.

I also believe that my brother has a rule that if his children want to see a movie based on a book, they must first read the book. An excellent idea, and one I will have to implement. Um, if I can get my kids to cooperate this late in the game.

So what kids books have you read because of your children? Have you enjoyed them? do you think it's because the book was genuinely fun/great/worthwhile, or more because your kid asked you to read it? I find that a recommendation by my children carries a lot of weight with me. But maybe that's only because I'm so flattered they would include me.

No comments: