Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Diet Update


All my life people have given me the look or statement of disbelief when I tell them how much I weigh. Even in junior high, people usually thought I weighed about 20 pounds less than I did. I don't know why that is; maybe it's height, maybe it's muscle, I don't know. But for what it's worth, I started dieting at 183 pounds. I've experimented a bit with what my body can handle as far as "sweet load," monitored my body fat content, and have discovered things that keep me sated (satiated?) longer and what exercises have been most helpful.

The most disturbing thing about it all is how easily we lose muscle. My body fat content has fluctuated right along with my muscle mass, and I've found that walking and doing yoga is barely enough to keep my muscles where I like them. I simply need to lift weights. End of discussion.

The update: I weighed in at 168 yesterday, meaning 15 pounds total. As stated above, I've watched my body fat/lean body mass ratio fluctuate some, and I've found that South Beach actually helped bring me back in line. But it is nice to feel smaller overall, and to weigh less. Even with 7% "excess" body fat. What I've found amusing is that my "target" weight (according to my body analysis readouts) also continues to change. Because I'm losing both body fat and lean body mass at varying ratios, my target weight has gone from 166 to 153 to 151. More work to be done, apparently, and more weights to be lifted. :)

As long as I can stay the course with healthy meals and minimal refined foods, I think I'll be fine. I like the way I eat now. I had some pizza with the boys Sunday night and I thought I was going to die. It made me feel just awful.

I will stick with it, and continue to post updates. Maybe someday Ann won't fall out of her chair when I tell her how much I weigh. Of course, it can be kind of fun to blow people's minds like that. Ha ha. I'm wicked.

No comments: