Monday, April 6, 2009

The real diet update

I went to the clinic today, where they tested my body fat to lean body mass composition. I have lost 12 pounds of body fat--woohoo! When I started this diet one month ago, I lost a lot of water weight during the detox phase. Since then, I've lost only four more pounds, but it looks like I've lost more fat and gained a little more water. I'm ok with water. Also when I started, I had 9 percent excess body fat; I'm now down to 3 percent excess. Very cool.

The trick to burning the fat, apparently, is in the ratio of protein ingested versus carbs. To continue my weight loss, they've got me on a 3 to 1 protein to carb ratio for meals (and all carbs have been vegetables or greens), with a fruit snack in the morning and an equal-ratio protein to carb snack in the afternoon.

My target weight has been pegged at 166 pounds. I currently weigh 173 pounds (down from 183 at the start), and my clothes are starting to fit pretty loosely. They were getting really snug. I told them at the clinic that I would like to weigh 155, but I'm thinking 166 is sounding pretty good. We'll see. I've never been a scale watcher, and people have always told me I look great, even at my heaviest. But I am feeling healthier and healthier. Now if I could just get this darn cold to go away...

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

that is great! Congratulations. Are you just doing yoga for your workouts?

Linda said...

That and walking. I try to do yoga three times a week and walk twice. It seems to work. :)