Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Of spirits and ghosts

My son Lennon was baptized a member of the LDS church on Saturday. It was a really cool occasion. The bishop of our ward spoke briefly beforehand, and talked about how he preferred calling the Holy Ghost the Holy Spirit, because ghost could sound kind of spooky.

After the baptism we all met for Lennon's confirmation, the second half of the baptismal event. I watched as Grandpa began the confirmatory (?) prayer/blessing, and Lennon got teary during the prayer. I held his gaze to let him know I was right there with him, and it all just felt really cool.

After we got home, I asked Ed if he had happened to peek at Lennon during the prayer. He said no, and I told him that Lennon had cried. Ed asked if I thought Lennon was scared, to which I assured him that he wasn't scared. Without missing a beat, Ed said, "Well maybe he was scared of the ghost."

On another note, Riley has decided that he does not want to take piano lessons anymore. It's getting more difficult for him, and he's always been the type to want to do things well or not at all (I wonder where he gets that from? Not anymore, but I used to be the same way). I told him he could do that, but only if he did one of the following: find a sport or sports that he could take/play all year, learn five hymns from the hymn book, or find another instrument that he would like to learn.

After many "discussions" and gripe sessions about how he didn't want to play piano anymore and me reminding him what he needed to do to change that, he finally told me yesterday that he wants to learn to ski. So we now are pursuing skiing lessons, with a meeting about the program on Thursday. I will let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

JPF said...

Hey! What's up with that?

Previously you said it was 10 hymns, not five. And how is skiing a year-round sport? Sounds like a bit of slack hand at the Townes' house! :-)

Linda said...

Well, you have to negotiate to the best of your ability. And he's not getting out of piano lessons after all. He will be taking swimming lessons this year though, and joining the junior swim team. Hey! Why am I justifying my slack attempt at discipline to you?!? :)