Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Accountants

You probably haven't noticed that I haven't been blogging for a while. I blame school. In one of my last posts I lamented the fact that I didn't go to school "when I was supposed to," or something like that. Going to school as an adult gets in and really ruins your life. No, really.

An example: today I wanted to ride my bike after school. It's a recent activity I've adopted, and I adore it. My knees are bad enough that I can't run anymore, and I really don't like to walk--I want to really move. And while yoga isn't really moving, that and cycling are about all I can do anymore. So, tonight I wanted to ride my bike, and I have chicken in my fridge that needs to be cooked. Soon. I also wanted to go to the temple tonight after work, 'cause I hear they have a new film (a topic for a different post). But HEY, I have HOMEWORK to do.

I finished my capstone last semester to glowing reviews, and boy, what a great way to go out that would have been. But no, I was a dumb-dumb and saved all my favorite subjects for last. (Read: all the subjects that didn't interest me, and frankly, scared me a little bit.)

The subject I'm studying right now is accounting, and I have a whole new respect for accountants. I just don't get it. It doesn't help that I have no real-world experience with accounting, unless you count years ago balancing my checkbook. And I really don't think that counts.

My brother is an accountant, and he's been generous enough to invite me to call him whenever I have a question, so I do. He's a great teacher, but I wish he was closer so I could sit down with him and actually learn from him. It truly is an intro class, and I feel like a glassy-eyed idiot when he explains things to me, especially over the phone.

Oh well. I'm glad to know that not all of us can do everything, and some of us are better doing only one thing.

I did get to spend time with my brother and his family just over a month ago, and his daughters wanted me to do something with them but I told them I had some homework to do. They got quite a charge out of that. They were certain I was pulling their legs.

No comments: